KL Eco City Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL)
Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) is an office tower situated in KL Eco City, a mixed-use development that is highly connected to public transportation access and amenities in KLEC Mall, Mid Valley and The Gardens shopping mall.
Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) is designed to be energy efficient with low OTTV through the use of high-performance double-glazing unit with Low-E coating and external shading. High efficiency motors, pumps, and fans are also installed to reduce the energy consumption of the air-conditioning (AC) system. A 55.75 kW PV system is also installed on the roof to further reduce the building’s operational carbon footprint. The electrical lighting system is designed in accordance to MS1525 and utilises motion sensors and lux sensors for additional energy savings. The energy efficient strategies implemented allows Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) to achieve a low BEI of 95.5 kWh/m2*year.
In terms of water usage, Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) uses low flow water fittings and collects condensate water from the AHUs to be used at the Cooling Towers. The selection of native plants reduces the irrigation watering demand as well. Sub-metering of the different sub-systems such as Flushing, Tap, Irrigation, and Cooling Tower Make-up Tank allows for close monitoring of usage and potential leakage.
Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) implements a number of innovative solutions. One of these solutions is the usage of Regenerative Lifts where the lift drive motor operates generator mode when a loaded lift car is travelling downwards. Hence recuperating energy. Another innovative solution is the implementation of a Drainage Filtration System through the use of a Gross Pollutant Trap (GPT) at the OSD tank. The GPT acts as a capturing device to trap pollutants such as plastics. This will ensure that wastes that can pollute the riverways and oceans are captured as close to the source as possible, preventing damage to the waters and animals.
In summary, Mercu 3 (Menara DBKL) achieves the following:
- OTTV: 41.14 W/m2
- BEI: 95.5 kWh/m2.yr
- PV System: 55.75 kWp (1.27%)
- Landscape: 161% more than authority requirement
- Recycled Content Materials: 33%
- Regional Materials: 39.3%
- Water Consumption: 59% savings compared to - Baseline (Sanitary Fittings)
Innovative Sustainability Features
• Low heat transfer through building envelope & roof through the use of laminated tempered double-glazed unit (DGU), roof insulation, and high Solar Reflective Index (SRI) roof coating.
• More than 50% of facade windows are shaded with horizontal sun-shading louvres.
• Multi-zone lighting design with photosensors and motion sensors used to control perimeter and transient zones.
• More than 50% of roof space is covered with solar PV panels – 55.75 kWp
• Condensate water recover – saving > 4,000 m3 of potable water per year.
• Use of pressure independent balancing control valve (PIBCV) to control & balance the flow of chilled water from AHU.
• Use of energy efficient lift with regenerative drive.
• Design of rainwater harvesting system & wastewater recycling system.
Certifications & Awards
GBI Gold 2022 (CVA, final certification)