UniKL Sustainable Energy Living Lab
This is the 1st Net Zero Energy Building in Malaysia. I was launched on 27 July 2022 at UniKL Gombak by the Minister of Rural Development, Dato' Seri Mahdzir Khalid. IEN is honoured to be the energy design consultant for this landmark project that points to the building sector's future, namely demonstrating the synergy between energy efficient building design, dynamic energy storage systems and renewable energy systems.
In a World that is transitioning to fluctuating 100% renewable energy production, buildings must increasingly be designed with a flexible demand, the so-called "buildings as batteries" concept.
Innovative Sustainability Features
• Living Lab concept (5 identical rooms for comparative testing of building technologies during ordinary use, which creates an excellent environment for University – Industry collaboration & applied research)
• Highly energy efficient building design (51% energy savings)
• Building integrated solar photovoltaics in the roof and on select walls
• Printed solar panel feature wall (1st in Malaysia) showing the UniKL logo and building name.
• Dynamic energy storage systems (thermal and electrical)
• ENERGY PLUS building that produces twice as much energy as it consumes
Certifications & Awards
1st Net Zero Energy Building in Malaysia